Profile image for snowstorm17

Hello . Could any of the locals please tell me what Paignton is really like as a place to live please ? I am moving from Bedfordshire to Paignton in the next few months because I thought that Paignton was a beautiful , safe, peaceful place to live in with nice people ... ??? I have now been given the impression by some people that in fact it is now actually run down, rampant with drunkards, druggies and dossers. That the people there are all racist, narrow minded, and on benefits ??? Surely that cannot be true ? If someone could offer me the truth please before I regret moving . Thank you for your time and opinions.

By snowstorm17 at 09:48 on 22/03/11

Re-post           

• Profile image for thespinthief

Who on earth told you that??

Paignton is a wonderful place to live :-) I think its a great area to bring up children too!

Gonna post some photos later of Goodrington beach last Sunday - then you'll see the true Paignton just like you thought it was :-)

By thespinthief at 10:40 on 22/03/11

• Profile image for adamjohn78

Krazypinkminx via Twitter says: "It is lovely, but it's lacking in shops for young people and there are lots of old people here. But It's not far from cities."

By adamjohn78 at 16:23 on 22/03/11

Check out these photo galleries snowstorm17 - Paignton in all it's glory! :-)

http://tinyurl.com/64mak77

http://tinyurl.com/62vo6u9

http://tinyurl.com/66cuxh5

http://tinyurl.com/6ccvuzv

By thespinthief at 19:17 on 22/03/11

• Profile image for snowstorm17

Hello. Thank you for the replies and lovely photos. It does remind me of why I am moving to Devon. But why do I keep hearing such negative comments about Paignton ? Is there racism ? Is there loads of drunkards and druggies and people on benefits ? Is there work ? Also have now been told there is also major traffic congestion problems?? I was hoping to go to a beautiful safe place and settle down in peace, not have to worry about crime and yobs !
    Am I under false illusions ? Thank you for taking the time to reply, it is very much appreciated.

By snowstorm17 at 22:50 on 22/03/11

• Profile image for Granny_Green

I feel very safe in Paignton and the drunkards and druggies that you talk about are definitely in the minority. In the sunny months there's few other places I'd rather be.

By Granny_Green at 15:16 on 28/03/11

• Profile image for ben_trevane

For all the scare storiess, its far far safer than most cities. I've lived here almost all my life and can count on one hand the number of times I've had any trouble. Sadly, I believe you will struggle to completely avoid jobless chavs anywhere these days - thats just modern England. If you've got to live with them though, far better to do it where there are lush beaches and awesome countryside. Torbaydos - bay of dreams!

By ben_trevane at 01:53 on 03/04/11

• Profile image for snowstorm17

Hello everyone and thank you for your replies. You have been very helpful . The other question I would like to ask is do you think there is much racism in Paignton and are people of a different colour made to feel unwelcome if they live in the area ? Also is Goodrington a lovely area to live in ? Many thanks .

By snowstorm17 at 08:30 on 03/04/11

• Profile image for ben_trevane

I'm 31 its rare that I notice any racism from anyone of my generation. I think it is just that - a purely generational issue that older people have. I don't think there's a specific problem down here, I lived in Bristol for four years and found there to be far more racism up there due to the clashing of segregated communities. Down here there may just be some ignorance.

By ben_trevane at 19:27 on 03/04/11

• Profile image for cathdeards

We are also moving to Paignton from Bedford in the next 6 months (fingers crossed our house sells) - we looked at Brixham first but decided that Paignton has more to offer once we have all day, every day, free - been looking at all areas but need to be within 3/4 mile of coast ideally - Goodrington looks good to us - any advice from anyone?

By cathdeards at 18:40 on 01/04/12

I've lived in Goodrington most of my life and have to say it's perfectly positioned as you have a 5/10min walk into the town centre (no need for costly parking meters!) and then you have a lovely beach right on your doorstep plus can go on nice walks through Roundham to get to the Harbour/main Paignton Seafront. Roundham would be a good place to live too!

By thespinthief at 14:31 on 02/04/12

Thanks for your reply - I like the look of Goodrington too - been keeping track of places for sale - frustrating to see good places sold when we're a few months away from putting our house on the market - your pics are very good - makes us want to be there now - how about fishing - do you fish? - we both fish - can you comment on the coarse fishing/carp lakes around - looking forward to fishing from the beach too. We're planning to come down to have a wander round the streets soon just to get a better idea of the place.

By cathdeards at 21:08 on 07/04/12

My Dad used to do some coarse/fly fishing in the local area! Will have a word to him and see if I can find out any more info for you :0)

By thespinthief at 16:03 on 10/04/12

Thanks - we don't fly fish but carp and general coarse fishing - only seen 2 places on the net - Town Parks ans New Barn - maybe your dad knows of more. Booked to spend 2 weeks next to beach in Goodrington in June - to have a wander around - looking forward to it

By cathdeards at 18:44 on 12/04/12

Strange question for some - I love fossiling - collected loads at Charmouth but due to 'life hiccup' didn't preserve them and they perished - I was gutted - moving to Goodrington area in next 6 months - can't see any indication that there are fossils there but believe there must be - can anyone help? - Cath

By cathdeards at 22:16 on 15/04/12

snowstorm17 - did you move - if you did how is it - we're moving from Bedford in next 6 months - having 2wk hol in June to have a look about - is it as good as we think? - Cath, Bedford

By cathdeards at 22:47 on 15/04/12

snowstorm17

Did you move to Paignton? - We're desperately getting our house ready to sell, to move to Goodrington hopefully - just want to get there and relax - retiring early and keeping fingers crossed our house sells quickly.

By cathdeards at 20:12 on 26/04/12

• Profile image for Mark12234

I have never read such rubbish in my entire life !? Seriously do you residents get out much? I have lived in paignton for most of my life (35 years). I've seen it transform from a left-over Victorian relic into a nasty gull poop stained hole, full of petty criminals and dealers. Whilst its true that Goodrington and Broadsands / Cherrybrook are slightly nicer areas, their greens and beaches are still inundated with undesirables peak season. There is a reason that property is generally cheaper in Torbay ! Compared to districts like South Hams, the beaches are a joke. The problems with anti-social behaviour are progressively getting worse. The infrastructure is terrible and everything has closed down. Even tradesmen based in Torbay think they're doing you a favour by getting out of bed in the morning. Get real, tell it like it is. Paignton is both dead and dying, get out while you can.

By Mark12234 at 01:53 on 28/07/13

• Profile image for Tish01

I would ask Mark if you have such a negative view of Paignton why on earth are you still living here?

By Tish01 at 11:40 on 28/07/13

• Profile image for mark12365

@Tish01 Not sure what made you think I wasn't in the process of relocating my family? We have been looking at new properties and locations since 2012. Little tip for future remarks – instead of trying to act like detective Columbo, try contest and dispute the actual points people make.

By mark12365 at 13:54 on 09/09/13

" there are lots of old people here."

- This is fiction. The last time I heard this with ref to Paignton, it was the 80's. The ratio of seniors in Paignton is no higher than anywhere else. It would probably be a lot nicer if there were a prevalent retirement community. Nursing homes and development of retirement homes / shelters have been discontinued or shut down. The ones which still exist are dilapidated. A higher proportion of seniors now live with their families due to economic climate.

" I feel very safe in Paignton and the drunkards and druggies that you talk about are definitely in the minority".

You do? You obviously don't live on my road. I can expect my property vandalised every other Friday and Saturday night, shortly after club closing times. I've had to replace the wing mirrors on my car this year three times. Here on the wonderful Jurassic coast, hosing urine and pieces of fastfood off my pathway has become a regular Sunday morning ritual. I'm fortunate though, some of my neighbours have had to remove syringes from their hedges.

" For all the scare storiess, its far far safer than most cities "

No it isnt !? Have you checked crimemap recently for figures, some of them match areas of Plymouth. Have you even glanced at half the reports on this very website lol, What ? Paigntons level of crime is considered "moderate" and has risen.

" is there much racism in Paignton "

Yes. If you are remotely different in Paignton, you will be shunned by the mainly white working class majority. Paignton is a local place 'for local people' where bigotry thrives. People may put on a front because they feel pressured to, but they are still intrinsically xenophobic and small-minded - there have always been problems (foreign student transfers / takeaway business owners in the region).

By mark12365 at 14:57 on 09/09/13

PS : What's with all the staffie owners in paignton too? What's that all about ?

I have never known an area with so many staffordshire terriers running around (mostly stray and off lead). I reckon if experts were able to conduct some kind of genetic identity test (on all the excrement stuck to Paigntons pavements), most of it would belong to the staffordshire breed. Chavtastic !

By mark12365 at 15:21 on 09/09/13

• Profile image for Tish01

Maybe you should put more energy in finding a new location instead of ranting on here all your time You sound very bitter! Good Luck to you on your new location,

By Tish01 at 11:40 on 10/09/13

You sound very defensive. It's a public messageboard for locals, isn't it? Personally I've been very grateful for advice and opinions offered by locals on other boards. Maybe you should upgrade from windows '95 & dial-up If you think I've expended time & effort on these paragraphs? Wishing you empty platitudes too, upgrading with soiled goods from the only single electrical retailer left in Paignton.

Btw - Why you even bothering to use a sock account and pretend NOT to be some kind of affiliate of this site? There's no traffic here, it's kind of obvious !

By mark12365 at 14:35 on 10/09/13

The Board caption reads " Tired Of The Traffic? Cranky at the Council, or just loving the locality. Whatever your view, tell Paignton here"

(Just as long as you don't rant, or have free time on your hands)

lol WHAT ?

By mark12365 at 15:02 on 10/09/13

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent