Devon on alert as rain could bring flooding over the weekend
By PGStrange | Friday, December 21, 2012, 17:25
DEVON IS ON alert as rain could bring more flooding over the weekend. There are currently 56 flood alerts in the region, including the Torbay area. More bad weather is expected to sweep in on Saturday and Sunday…
Devon is on flood alert again this evening, with more rain expected tonight and over the weekend
Devon County Council says its highways teams and social care staff are on high alert, ready to respond to potential flooding and other emergency incidents over the weekend.
With further heavy rain expected, particularly during tonight (Friday 21 December) and Saturday morning, the council is warning residents to take care and remain alert to flooding.
Persistent rain earlier this week means there is an increased risk of surface water and river flooding as well as the potential for fallen trees and landslips, particularly in areas where the ground is already saturated.
The Environment Agency has put the River Dart area – including the Torbay area – on flood alert. Flooding is possible in this area, so be prepared.
Advice for motorists:
- Do not drive through flood water or fords with heightened flows
- Driving at night can be especially hazardous as some storm damage or floods are not readily visible
- Listen and take head of weather forecasts, and drive appropriately for the conditions
- Don't drive too fast and remember to increase your braking distances
- Drive very carefully on minor roads, as problems may not be brought to the attention of the highways teams or the emergency services immediately